TRIGGER’s Kill la Kill has been one of the most watched anime series this season, mainly because of its staff and its previous success with Inferno Cop and Little Witch Academia, which were well-received in western countries. KLK heavily focuses on fast-paced, intensive battle scenes, slapstick humor and western character design and animation. The story introduces a authoritative high school setting, wherein power, social status and hierarchy is dictated by a student’s Ultima Uniform. The student council president, Kiryuuin Satsuki rules not only the school, but the entire city with an iron fist, where her every word is absolute and going against her rule would mean insane punishment. A transfer student, Matoi Ryuuko, appears, along with her feelings of vengeance, she aims to know more the truth behind her father’s death. Her first defeat, however, led to an encounter with a special uniform left by her deceased fatehr. When worn and given blood, she receives superhuman powers surpassing those with Ultima Uniforms. Will the mysterious uniform Senketsu, along with the half scissor blade, help her unravel the truth?
The voice acting lineup is definitely very strong, with main characters consisting mostly of veteran seiyuus (some of them are in the business since the 90’s). Here we go!
- Koshimizu Ami (Matoi Ryuuko) – A very well-known voice actress, mostly because of her big roles in seinen shows. Some of her most popular characters are Maou (Maoyuu Maou Yuusha), Amagi Yukiko (Persona 4 the Animation), Shizuri Mugino (Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S), Horo (Spice and Wolf) and Kouzaki Kallen (Code Geass).
- Yuzuki Ryouka (Kiryuuin Satsuki) – Yet another long-running voice actress, taking up roles not only in anime but also in games. Some of her known characters include Brunestud Arcueid (Carnival Phantasm), Katsuragi Mari (Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai), Oriana Thomson (Toaru Majutsu no Index), Eruruu (Utawarerumono) and Yamanaka Ino (Naruto).
- Seki Toshihiko (Senketsu) – One of the most revered voice actors in anime. He also voiced characters in drama CDs and video games. Duo Maxwell (Mobile Suit Gundam Wing), Aleister Crowley (Toaru Majutsu no Index), Genjo Sanzo (Saiyuki) and Umino Iruka (Naruto) are just a few of his well-voiced roles. His most famous character by far would be Rau Le Creuset from Gundam SEED, which even earned him an award for being the 9th most favorite voice actors in Japan last 2004.
- Suzaki Aya (Mankanshoku Mako) – Still starting out on her career, Suzaki Aya has been getting a few major roles lately. Most of you would be familiar with her voice from the characters Cerebrum (Gen’ei wo Kakeru Taiyou), Kozue (Magical Star Kanon 100%), Takitsubou Rikou (Toaru Kagaku no Railgun), Takenaka Hiiragi (Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS) and Kitashirakawa Tamako (Tamako Market).
- Shinichiro Miki (Mikisugi Aikurou) – We have another veteran! Having voiced more than 230 character roles, Shinichiro Miki is also known for his work in BL drama (yes, makes you realize how fit he is for this role, eh?), and was once considered one of the most prolific seiyuus in Japan. A few of his current and best anime characters are Gintaro (Gingitsune), Kaiki (Nisemonogatari), Kojiro/James (Pokemon), Roy Mustang (Full Metal Alchemist) and Urahara Kisuke (Bleach).
- Hiyama Nobuyuki (Sanageyama Uzu) – Looking at this guy’s profile sure brought back a lot of memories! If you’ve watched shows from the 90’s, you’ll definitely recognize his voice. A few of his previous roles are Balmung (.hack// series), Takamiya Teppei (B’tX), Viral (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann), Madarame Harunobu (Genshiken) and Madarame Ikkaku (Bleach).
I must say, Studio TRIGGER did an impeccable job in choosing their cast for Kill la Kill, and admittedly, this is one of the reasons behind its success, despite having only 2 episodes aired as of writing. The characters are so full of vigor that you won’t even be a dull second. It’s also worth noting at how some of them worked together in same projects in other studios.
Are you watching the series? What can you say about the voice acting cast? Let us know at the comments below!